PJM – Attorney
Marissa N. Spencer
Phone: (312) 782-7150
Areas of Practice/Concentration
- Municipal law
- Government Relations
- Administrative Hearing Officer
- Intergovernmental Agreements
- Drafting Ordinances
- Freedom of Information Act & Open Meetings Act
- Special Service Areas
- Northern Illinois College of Law, JD, 2007
- University of Illinois, College of Law, Visiting Student, 2007
- Bradley University, BS, 2005
- State of Illinois
- Fourth District Appellate District Court of Illinois
- US District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Assembly (2019 – present)
- Government Lawyers (2019 – 2023)
- Local Government (2022-2023)
- Illinois Municipal League’s Home Rule Attorneys Committee (2018 – present)
- Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Lincoln Series Fellow (2021-2022)
Marissa Spencer specializes in governmental relations and municipal law. Prior to joining PJM, she served as Assistant Corporation Counsel for the second largest city in Illinois. Marissa also served as and an Assistant State’s Attorney in both the civil and criminal bureaus in DuPage County.
Marissa began her legal career in Springfield where she practiced employment, administrative and municipal law. There she had the opportunity to successfully argue before the Fourth District Appellate Court, resulting in the reversal of an administrative decision.
Serving as an Assistant State’s Attorney in DuPage County, she gained valuable criminal and civil experience. In the criminal bureau she tried and brought to verdict hundreds of cases before a Judge or Jury. During her tenure in the Juvenile Division she worked with social workers and local organizations to facilitate needed resources for local youth and their families. In the civil bureau she represented elected officials and department heads in state and federal court. She was also responsible for addressing questions and compliance with both the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act. Marissa has given numerous trainings on OMA and FOIA compliance.
As assistant corporation counsel for the City of Aurora, Marissa continued to advise elected officials, department heads, employees and appointees on the municipal level. She also gained transactional experience in zoning and planning matters, and drafting ordinances, contracts and Intergovernmental Agreements. In 2022, she was awarded the Mayor’s MVP award for her work redrafting the decades old sign ordinance.
Marissa continues to represent governmental clients in providing legal counsel, litigation and transactional matters.